Kiwi sports




So...my skates are on the way from Canada cuz I figured that although they don't get snow/ice they'll have skating rinks to skate on. Turns out there is two skating rinks...in all of NZ.

When you say hockey here...it means field hockey...for hockey you have to specify "ice hockey". Field hockey here is a co-ed sport....I've only seen girls play it in Canada. Lacrosse apparently is also a girls sport...I've only seen guys play it in Canada. Net Ball is their basketball and in grade school only girls play but there is a work team that is co-ed.

I figure I will teach the neighbourhood kids to play road hockey when our stuff arrives. They don't play that here either. What a strange country!

There is two different types of rugby - Union and League. Football means lots of things...there is Australian football, irish football, american football...the people I was with didn't know there was Canadian football. Soccer means soccer but is sometimes called football. Cricket is crazy and lasts five days and the scores get in the 200-400 range...but they have a quick game which only lasts 8 hours. The rules are too difficult to explain in any short period of time...so I won't get to learn it unless I go to a game.

All-Black's Haka

Comments

blank said…
Working hard B? or hardly working??
Kathryn said…
losing your English B? twice in this post you wrote there is instead of there are!

Popular Posts