Kia ora New Zealand

A year ago we made the decision to move to New Zealand. Unlike some expats, we were not running away from anything. We loved Canada but we just wanted to try something different. It has been an amazing experience.

I love Wellington! I love having a mountain in my backyard and the amazing force of the wind that blows at the top. I love that the ocean is a few minutes drive away. I love watching the ferries, huge cargo ships, yachts, sail boats and wind surfers from my window at work. I love the outdoor active lifestyle...tramping, running, swimming, surfing, kayaking...

I love how, even in the depth of winter, it only gets to 3C...at night. I love heating my house with a wood burner.

I love...really, really love...Maori culture and that the kids learn kapa haka at school. I love that Julia now speaks Kiwi English and Canadian English. I love that Ethan now says Septemba', Octoba', Novemba' and Decemba'. I love that Noah will perform a Haka at least once a day. I love that I can now describe myself as Pakeha.

I love watching rubgy at the pub and feeling pride in the mighty All Blacks.

I love taking the train to work.

I love going for a beer with my mates after work. I love that people are so nice here and that we have made some excellent friends and developed an excellent social network.

I love learning about the Pacific and that I now know there is a country called Nuie. I love that New Zealand has begun recruiting bus drivers from Tonga.

I love seeing seals, kiwis, hedgehogs, wetas and all the other fabulous New Zealand fauna. I love the ferns, the palm trees, kiwifruit, the pohutukawa and all the other fabulous New Zealand flora. I love working in biosecurity to protect this amazing biodiversity.

This has been an awesome experience and something that I will always treasure...but it is time to go home. Home to family and friends. Home to Canada!

Kia Ora!

Comments

Anonymous said…
i have the answer!!! move all your family to NZ!!
all joking aside, i am really glad you guys experienced NZ the way you did.
love
Dad
Anonymous said…
Very happy that you enjoyed this experience and even more happy that you are coming home. :)

Jordan
Jenn said…
If you stop through TO on your journey home we would love to see you guys!
Anonymous said…
You brought tears to my eyes. It's clear that your decision to come back is a difficult one.
Love Mom
Karla said…
You'll be missed... but it'll be good to see y'all back in chilly Canada! ^_^
J-girl said…
You're going home for good?! So soon? Well, I guess I'll get to learn a bit more about life in Canada now. ^_^ When's the big date?
Anonymous said…
I just realised that you arrived in NZ in Mid-winter and stayed! Although being from Canada, you probably thought it was rather balmy! Tee-hee

Hate to see you go, but you have such wonderful stories to take with you and your kids will take this experience with them and grow from it. It believe a different perspective is one of the best gifts you can give yourself and your children.
Anonymous said…
i hope you continue keeping this blog...and you will me missed here.
Anonymous said…
happy canada day double family!!
erin
Speaka said…
Dad - Good answer!

Jordan - Looking forward to coming home but certainly enjoyed it here.

Tan - Yuppers!

Jenn - Unfortunately we aren't heading through TO but we should certainly arrange a visit when we get back to Ottawa.

Mom - It was a difficult decision but I'm certain it was the right one.

Karla - That'd be fun!

JG - We leave in mid-August for good. We've had an excellent year in NZ...now its time for new adventures in Canada.

Shannon - We've had a tremendous experience here! Yes, we arrived in the "winter"...though its not much of a winter in Wellington...it never even got below zero C.

Office mate - Yup...I'll keep up the blog. Should I keep the same one or start a new one for the Canadian adventure?

Erin - Happy Canada Day to you too!!! We had a great party last night for it.
Drakadooey said…
We're glad that you had a great time down there...we are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Have a safe flight! I hope that you get your stuff (containeriz(s)ed stuff)sooner than on the way down...

Cheers buddy!
T

Popular Posts