Tattoo


I have wanted an ouroboros tattoo since the TV show Millenium. I was born in the year of the snake, I like the symbology of cyclicality, I think the story of the discovery of structure of the benzene is super interesting and I just think it looks cool. More on ouroboros

I have been thinking lately that I'd like to combine NZ imagery with the ouroboros to represent our adventure here. I thought that the body of the snake could be designed with koru, a symbol representing an unfurling fern.

I thought an armband would be cool.

I have now decided that I want to reward myself for the Half-marathon with the tattoo. Today we went to a tattoo parlour to discuss the design. I learnt that the tattoo artist did not think it would be culturally appropriate to add Maori designs to a snake since the snake is an invasive species to New Zealand. He also suggested not to get an armband because it breaks up the "canvas" making it difficult artistically to add more tattoo.

So now I dunno what to do...

Comments

J-girl said…
"Breaks up the canvas"? How many tattoos does he think you're going to get, anyway? I say go ahead and get the armband!

About the negativity combining the Maori design with the snakes--You could get 2 separate tattoos. Maybe 2 armbands on separate arms? That way they kind of go together but aren't disrespectful. Just a thought.

When you do go through with it, let me know how much it hurts.
Anonymous said…
Armbands are out man.. Haven't you seen the Kia commercials? lol... Naw, seriously though, so many people got those tribal armbands (every football player on earth) that they have started to become sort of a joke to tattoo enthusiasts from what I hear.. Your call though. I'd say that since you are thinking of a very creative design you should skip the gimicky armband and just get it on your upper arm, chest, shoulder, etc.. Just my two cents. I think the design will be cool though.

Jordan
Speaka said…
Jagaimogirl - I'm not sure how many tattoos he was expecting. I'm only planning on one...at least at first. I think I'll just stick with the ouroboros.

Jordan - I haven't seen the Kia commercial...I don't think we get them here. I'm not too worried about impressing tattoo enthusiasts since I don't plan on joining a club but I also don't wanna be a copy cat. Perhaps I'll go with my upper arm.
Anonymous said…
i agree with the idea of not getting a band...upper arm would be super cool. you should get dave to design the tattoo for you. its his specialty! of course, it might be a good idea to get the artist who is actually doing the tattoo to lay out the design...i might be getting a tattoo this summer too!
erin

Popular Posts