Close-out report: Long Weekend with Children



Date: 3-5 June, 2006
Location: Ngaio, Wellington, New Zealand

Scope: This report focuses on the activities and interactions between myself (Speaka) and my three children. Child J is a 6 year old girl. Child E is a 5 year old boy. Child N is a 2.5 year old boy.

Background: In 2006, the Queen's birthday celebration in New Zealand landed on 5 June, making the first weekend in June a long one. Talie the matriarch of the family decided to use this opportunity for a "Girl's weekend" in Taupo with a visiting friend. This left Speaka as a single parent for the weekend.

Normally, Talie is the primary childcare provider in the family since Speaka is the primary income provider from work outside the home.

Observations:
Speaka and the children had an excellent weekend. We went to the museum twice and saw swordfighting and a cool movie about lives in New Zealand. We went to an art exhibit which was directed at children. J submited her colouring-in to a contest. We ate at an ethnic food market and at a pub. We climbed trees and played at the park.

Conclusions:
I love hanging out with the kids. I know that culturally I am supposed to say "I can't wait to go back to work for a rest" to the men, to show I'm macho, and to the women, to show that I am sensitive to the plights of a stay-at-home mom...but I don't feel that way. I had a great time and I feel like, if it was possible, I'd love to be a stay-at-home parent.

It's not to say that it wasn't hard work. I do not have a drivers licence so we have to bus/train everywhere. It was raining yesterday so we got wet. After being out all day, I wasn't really in the mood to go grocery shopping for supper but we did.

It was also the weekend so not representative of the many commitments that the kids have during the week (school, creche, playgroup) and again this would be difficult without a car.

It is hard but enjoyable work.

Recommendations:

Speaka get his drivers licence.

Family wins lottery to allow Speaka to stay home.

Comments

Drakadooey said…
Just don't try to adjust the radio while you are driving. PLEEEEASE. :o

I'm glad you had a good weekend.

T
Drakadooey said…
After looking at that picture again...you should enlarge it and frame it. That is an *amazing* shot. The graininess is great...reminiscent of shooting with high ISO film.
Anonymous said…
very good report! A+ material...
I really love the photo too.
I am glad you had a great weekend but the girl in me says to stay home with them when they are sick... Actually I guess they would be quiet then!
I can't wait to get home and spend some quality catchup time with my god children...
http://superrelish.blogspot.com/
Speaka said…
Yes...I know...I should have got a driver's licence sooner in my life...but I didn't...maybe now is the time?

6 bolt - Perhaps I'm not so good at multi-tasking so yes, I'll leave radio adjustment to my passenger.

6 bolt and TJ- Thanks for the photo compliment...it was a random shot that turned out well.

TJ- Yes, taking care of sickies is not so fun.

Popular Posts