Bein' a regular

I hate mornings. I am not a morning person at all. Oddly enough, I am not an evening person either. What does this make me?? nuts??

This morning started out like any other. I slowly dragged myself out of bed and served the kids a new type of cereal and some toast...more than they usually get. Timing was going well. While the kids ate, I made them lunch and got dressed and got there outfits ready for the day. They ate..everything. They packed their school bags and got dressed..not necessarily in that order. We were doing well the last time I checked my watch. Everything seemed ready to go and it was only 8:18am. But I have no idea what happened to the following twenty minutes. Where does time go?? I check my watch again and it is 8:40. Alright, "hurry up guys, we're gonna be late! Get your shoes on and get in the car!" They rarely listen on the first call..but today..they did. There was the beginning of my downfall. I figured I still had mucho time before the kids would get in the car, so I strapped Noah into his car seat. I then proceeded to untie Tui to let her into the house. This is where it gets bad...

I here the front door slam shut. Of all the times they would listen to me and actually close the door behind them, it had to be today!! I always put my purse and keys in the car before strapping in Noah, but this morning I didn't. We are locked out of the house. My keys, purse, cell phone all inside the house ready by the door. You see...I had a feeling this would come to bite me in the a$$ one day. Everyday, between Ethan and Julia, we have issues about who was last out of the car or out of the house. They never close the door. I always give them heck. I often find the door wide open as we are backing down the driveway at which point I need to stop the car and shut the door.

This morning Julia shut the door. I couldn't get upset. I laughed..and then it sunk in that we would have to walk to school. It's not a long walk..as I've mentioned before but we never seem to do it. I got the stroller out of the car park which was still slightly damp from Brian's weekend excursion with the kids. Oh well. Off we go! As we are walking, Julia keeps apologizing to which I say, "don't worry about it babe..you did what I always asks you to do". To which she replies, "oh mum, I don't want to talk about it." We continue walking and I can hear her talking to herself and giving herself heck for shutting the door and for continuing to talk about it. She a funny girl with a great imagination.

As we are approaching the entrance to the school, I run into a playgroup mum. It dons on me...I have the church keys where we have our playgroup..I am meant to unlock and set up. Oh crap! I let the mum know about my situaion. She calls a friend who has the number of a friend who has the keys for the church..still following me?? It gets worse. Meanwhile Julia and Ethan have run way ahead of me..nice eh?? I shout up to Julia to tell the mum of one of Ethan's classmates know that I won't be able to unlock and set up for playgroup. Great..that's two people who will work the network while I try to figure out a way to get in touch with Brian.

As we are walking back home, I run into the lady who used to be in charge of setting up for playgroup and tell her my story. She waves her husband over who lends me his phone to call Brian at work. You may have heard me mention the Cafe that Noah and I often frequent in the morning... Brian is out of the office so I leave a message saying for him to call me at the Cafe. My friends husband then offers to buy me a coffee while I wait, to which he then realizes he only has australian notes from having just returned from aussie the night before. I thank him for his thoughtfulness and carry on to the cafe. Two minutes till the cafe opens. I get inside and tell them what has happened. I have a dollar in my pocket so I buy Noah a fluffy (frothed milk with chocolat powder sprinkled over top, served with two marshmellows and a chocolat fish). The kids love it. This is where my title fits in..they offer me a bowl moccha on the house. They were so sweet to me. This is why I love my neighbourhood..and the cafe. Brian calls and they pass me the phone. luckily he has no meetings and can come back home to let me into the house. My hero!

I get home, get my things and then drop Brian off at work. Noah and I then head to playgroup where everyone offers me their sympathy for my crappy morning. Word travels fast. It turns out, Julia did do her job and tell the boys mum that I wouldn't be able to open. She got here in time to set things up. Noah and I have our morning tea and play and gossip. What a morning!

What a boring story! But it needed to be told. The people here are great..everyone knows everyone and we are all there for each other. A true community!

Cheers,
Nat

Comments

Anonymous said…
not a boring story at all! i'm glad it all turned out in the end.
erin

Popular Posts