Martin Johnston

There was a story in the news today about a Wellington artist that I found incredibly interesting. He is self-taught and his studio is the cafes and park benches of downtown Wellington. As you can see he looks the part.

His art is obsessive and intricate. On graph paper he use mathematical equations to determine which tiny square to colour in until he has filled the sheet with a complex pixelation. He then uses the same equations to construct the negative of the image he has designed. If he makes an error he cuts tiny slivers from the page and meticulously tapes them into place so that it is nearly impossible to spot the addition.


I am determined to see his work in person so I contacted the Chartwell Collection which holds some of his drawings. I have been told that there will be a solo exhibition of his work in mid-October so I'm looking forward to that. I won't be purchasing any of his art any time soon though since they go for about $2500 NZ Dollars a piece.

The lady who responded also put me onto Martin Johnston's advocate Stuart Shephard who is a curator of Self-Taught and Visionary Art in New Zealand. I guess Mr. Johnston needs a liaison with the outside world because he has some pretty serious psychiatric difficulties, which makes him all the more interesting.

Comments

Drakadooey said…
very cool art. H would love this concept...very much like weaving and math!
Anonymous said…
neat!
erin
Speaka said…
6 bolt tsi - Yeah I think the math bit is what I like the most about his pieces.

Erin - totally!

Popular Posts