Kiwiberries

After an excellent chili meal, Talie brought out dessert...kiwiberries. Mini hairless kiwifruit that were the size of grapes. No need to peel 'em just pop 'em in your mouth. They were much sweeter than kiwifruit too. Yummy!

I immediately got on the net and emailed the kiwiberry grower association to let them know that I loved them and that friends and family in Canada would probably love them too. I was hoping for an offer to be their overseas marketing manager for this new developing product.

A little more searching and I found out that they are grown in Canada (Niagara) and the US already so I'm a bit behind the eightball.

Has anyone tried them? What did you think?

BTW The pictures above are not mine...I stole 'em off the net.

Comments

Tracie P. said…
i have never even seen these! they are so cute...can i have one?
J-girl said…
I want some! I bet they cost a fortune in the States, even if you know where you can get them. I've never seen them before.
Speaka said…
Glad to see I've generated some interest...maybe a marketing job is in the cards?

Yes, Tracie, you can have one and I believe that actually there is a small amount grown in Italy.

Knollster, Kiwifruit used to be called Chinese gooseberry but other than that...probably not that similar. Kiwiberries' scientific name is Actinidia arguta whereas gooseberries are from the genus Ribes. I don't think I've had gooseberries but from the reading I did it appears that gooseberries are sour/tart but kiwiberries are super sweet!

Jagaimogirl, I looked around the net and it seems that they are indeed quite expensive in North America...that's the selling point for the growers...the whole niche market opportunity.
Meesh said…
My dad grows those in his backyard. They look like little grapes but taste exactly like the big fruit. You pick them in July or August when they get nice and soft. They are very yummy.
Speaka said…
I was amazed that they grow in the colds of Ottawa...but upon further research it turns out that kiwiberries grow on hardy kiwifruit vines which can withstand more cold than its larger fruited cousin.
Drakadooey said…
These are definitely getting planted at our place. Yum.
Anonymous said…
Now that I know you can grow them in Ottawa, I may trade in some space in the raspberries bushes for these little lovelies!!
dad

Popular Posts