Historically Speaka

Thought I'd share a few more interesting things I learnt about my history.

For one generation on my family tree I trace my lineage maternally. My great-great-great-great-great grandfather was born out of wedlock* and so he kept his mother's name rather than his father's.

This same ancestor and his son (one of my great-great-great-great uncles) were pauper inmates at the workhouse Tattingstone Union during the 1881 census. He worked as an agricultural labourer on the 37 acre farm.

Also interesting is that we are not the first of my relatives to settle in New Zealand. Apparently there are 570 of my distant relatives living here.

* I was going to make a B-word joke...but couldn't bring myself to use the word, even in its proper usage.

Comments

Have you moved to NZ FOREVER???
Big move!
Speaka said…
It was a huge move! The plan is to stay here for a while (3 years-ish) and then make the decision about whether or not to stay forever.
The longer you stay, the harder to leave...

I am from Melbourne so chances are I will get to NZ in the near future. Be great to meet.
Speaka said…
Sure...that sounds fun...if you in Wellington I'd love to meet. I just added my email to my profile so drop me a line.
Drakadooey said…
Hey Speaka, if you're even in North America, it would be great to meet... ;)
Speaka said…
6 bolt tsi - You sound pretty dodgy...but okay! Sounds good!
Anonymous said…
Talk about sounding dodgy...have you seen your picture??
Drakadooey said…
good one anon! :D
Speaka said…
:-p (Thats me sticking my tongue out at you)

Popular Posts