'piders

Found this hairy guy with a broken leg in our side yard. He was the biggest spider we'd seen yet, probably 3 cm long including legs. He had huge mouth parts, which I think that I remember reading is a feature that indicates he is a more primative form of spider. Unfortunately I didn't get any good photos of the mouth parts extended.


Found this guy on the wall at the train station while the kids and I were on the way to the zoo. He was only a few millimetres long, including the legs. He also has a missing joint on his leg...wonder who is eating spiders one leg at a time.

Comments

J-girl said…
If those spiders were in Japan, I would say it was possible that my youngest ate their legs. I figured NZ would have some huge spiders. I've seen ones here that are at least 15 cm long. They look cool, though.
Anonymous said…
good nature photos Brian
Love Mom
Speaka said…
That is huge! 15 centimetres!

Even though it doesn't compare, I re-estimated the size of the spider I saw. I actually figure it was 4.5cm long...my fingers are wider than when I was a kid.

Popular Posts