First Feeding

All week we have been taking the snake out to handle him to get him used to us, except for yesterday because today was Feeding Day! Talie dangled a little pinkie mouse in front of him until he struck out and bit the mouse. Little, though, is a relative term because the mouse was still five times as big as the snakes head. In only ten minutes the mouse had been swallowed whole and there was a lump in the snakes belly. Very cool!



Unfortunately...he or she remains unnamed...haven't found one that sticks!

Technorati tags: , , Posted by Picasa

Comments

Anonymous said…
Despite my absolute fear of snakes I have always been amazed at how they eat.
Amazing. In the "wilds" just outside of Ottawa I once witnessed a garter snake cruising alongside a trail with the legs of a frog sticking out of its mouth.

As for names...what about "Big Gulp"?

F recommends "Lisgar" as a good name for a snake. If you want to check with the kids to see if s/hes been fed, you can ask "Is Lisgar lumpy?"
blank said…
I once had an ginormous fear of snakes too. I would freak out at the mere sight of a photo of a snake. Having children made me want to overcome that fear. I didn't want them to pick up on my phobias. I started going to our local Super Pet a couple of years ago and eventually built up the courage to touch one, then hold one. I find them really neat now. That being said, I might still freak out if I came across one in the wild. It's a definite start though...

Cheers :o)
Speaka said…
amy - It was pretty cool to watch...that's for sure.

meandering michael - A couple of days ago I caught a baby garter right near where I go for my lunchtime run. Very cute.

Thanks for all the suggestions for names. "Is Lisgar lumpy?" made me laugh...he certainly was lumpy for the day after he was fed.

Popular Posts