Kiwiana

Esteemed readers….today I write about, well, nothing really.  On the walk home today from the train station, I was thinking about how happy I am to be in New Zealand and particularly Wellington.  I love learning new things and without this adventure I would never have had the interesting experiences I have had.  I always thought that dried grapes (Vitis) were raisins…but this is not so….apparently there are raisins, sultanas, and maybe other types.  Raisins are one variety of dried grapes and sultanas are another…one is bigger and one is sweeter though I do not know which.  I remember my Anthropology courses taught that the language you speak, and therefore think in, affects the way you experience your life.  Just like the Inuit and their 100s of words for snow…well actually that is a myth and according to a website I just checked they have at most 12 and that is being generous.  

In taxonomy there are lumpers and splitters, some like to lump organisms into one species and others like to split them into many species/strains/pathovars/biotypes.  From a regulatory standpoint it is much simpler to be a lumper…but in life I think I’m a splitter….I like the individuality.  So I will learn about the difference between raisins and sultanas and revel in their uniqueness.

This past weekend was a musical one.  In the afternoon on Sunday we went to see The Wiggles.  The kids enjoyed that and I did too though the Wiggles are at the extreme end of my comfort level of extroverted displays of happiness.  That evening we went to a Christmas carol service at the town hall.  E and N lasted about 20 minutes so I spent the last bit outside with them while Talie and J stayed for the service.  It was nice to sing carols because it gets us a little bit into the Christmas mood.  It is difficult to get into the spirit since it is really green outside.  We are having our Christmas work party at the beach!  This is definitely the first time I have mowed the lawn in December.  The house lacks any Christmas decoration as well…they are still on their way.  Speaking of the container, it is pushed back a few days again and is not set to arrive in New Zealand now until 10 Dec.  Arghhh!  But at least we are in contact with someone now who is willing to give us updates.

I’m still excited to live in a city where I can be on top of a mountain in half an hour surrounded by trees, hills and sheep.  It is only a quick train ride into work.  Since I’m right downtown, I can go with my mates and have a beer at the pub after work and still make the train home.  Alternatively, if I wanted I could go for a swim in the ocean after work…though it’s a bit cold still.

Of course I miss my family and friends…it is certainly going to be a strange Christmas without them but this is truly a great experience.  I am really happy that my children are getting this experience because I firmly believe it is making them more well-rounded people.  They will have an understanding of the world around them that I don’t think they would have got living in one place their whole lives.  Although Kiwis speak English and share similar origins as many Canadians, they have a distinct culture that is amazing to learn about.  And the Maori influence on this culture is incredibly interesting…N is still in awe over the All Blacks Haka and loves to try to emulate them.

I’m going to Auckland for a few days at the end of the week.  That should be fun.  I’ll be checking out the airport, the wharf, a container de-stuffing facility, and possibly a post-entry quarantine site for nursery stock.  The next day I have a presentation to make to an industry group…should go well.  

I finally got that book Being Peace.  I’m looking forward to reading it but am reading a fantasy novel right now, the last of a series by Raymond Feist.  It is a good series but I’m keen to move onto other genres of literature.

See…random thoughts from the embodiment of abnormal psychology….

Comments

Anonymous said…
I always liked the plump juicy raisins WAY better than sultana raisins!!!
H
Anonymous said…
and here I was ignorant of the whole world of dehydrated grapes...

B

Popular Posts