Ron Mueck - Anatomically Correct


Yesterday morning I snuck away from the family for a couple of hours and went downtown to the National Gallery of Canada to see the Ron Mueck exhibit. He is a "hyperrealist sculptor"...his sculptures of people are amazingly detailed...right down to the last body hair, freckle, vein, and mole. His works are usually not to scale - I saw a newborn baby still covered in birth fluids the size of a room and a fragile little old lady sleeping under a thin blanket who was only a couple of feet tall. I was a bit embarrassed to get so close to these naked figures and even though I knew they were fake, I kept expecting to see them take a breath. It was weird to be observing a naked lady who had just given birth to a little baby who was still attached to its mother by the umbilical cord.

I really enjoyed the video at the end of the exhibit which showed how he makes these huge or miniature sculptures....quite the process.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I heard the video is really intersting. I am hoping to see the exhibit on the weekend.

Tracy

Popular Posts