Being civilized and Rocket powered

On Wednesday I took the kids to the Museum of Civilization. While checking out their web site in the morning, I noticed that Beauty and the Beast was playing at the IMAX theatre so we hurried to the Museum to watch it. I had forewarned the kids that it'd be a big screen but, even so, Eth and Julia both said "Whoa...that's huge!" when they actually saw it...cuz the screen is massive. With only one bathroom trip during the movie, I think it was a very successful activity...though an expensive one.

Actually the whole trip was quite expensive and the museum is so huge that you can't see it all in one trip...or even two. If it was cheaper (or free like in NZ) we could take our time and check out all the nooks and crannies because we could afford to return again and again. At the price we paid, I felt we had to do as much as we could in the one day....and kids and rushing don't mix well.

They enjoyed the Children's museum a lot and got their passports filled with all the activities that were going on. Eth and Julia unloaded cargo off a ship. Noah danced in clogs. Julia played customs officer. Eth did a shadow play. The kids found a secret passage through the pyramids. I dressed as a Bedouin. Eth got snapped at by crab claws in the fish market. We went for a ride on a Pakistani bus and Eth and Noah went on a motorcycle.



Although it was fun, I think that the museum should spend more money on supporting current culture rather than preserving cultural artifacts. In Te Papa, NZ's National Museum, there was always something going on...sword fighting, breakdancing, stunt show, singing, Kapa haka, etc. At the museum of civilization we saw lots of cool Aboriginal artifacts, including some amazing masks, but no live anything. While walking through the longhouse you can hear music of the First Nations but it is all taped music...I kept hoping that around the corner there would be a live performance...always disappointed to find it was a movie or tape. The children's museum is great cuz its all kid friendly, interactive displays...but I think they'd get even more from live performances of culture.

A bit ago my friend Andrew came to visit us and brought the kids a gift...a rocket. Yesterday at my parents we decided to give it a go. Eth and I put it together and then the gang went out to the football field behind my old high school to shoot it off.


It is a vinegar/baking powder powered rocket. Here I am loading the fuel..

Unfortunately, in all the excitement we didn't get a pic of it taking off...but it did and it was awesome! It didn't quite make the 300 feet that was marked on the box but with a few modifications to the rocket and to our fuel mixture process I think this is quite an attainable goal.

I also got the privilege of a couple of hours to myself....my parents watched the kids. I took the bus downtown and read, had lunch while reading, and then took the bus home while reading. I have a great book...The Bone People...and it was awesome to have some time to read it.

Comments

Popular Posts